The following is a my web development setup as of January 2021.
- Visual Studio Code with a giant pile of extensions.
- Theme: One Dark Pro Vivid.
- Font: Jetbrains Mono. Ligatures all the way.
- WSL2 is my default shell at long last. I'm rocking oh-my-zsh with a bunch of plugins.
- I use VS Code's terminal panel 90% of the time and Windows Terminal the rest of the time.
- NPM packages I install globally.
📁 Desktop Apps
- Chrome is my main browser. The dev tools are best in show and React Developer Tools is pretty essential.
- Notion for daily note taking, to-do lists and planning small projects.
- Slack is my preferences for team chat but I'll use Teams if I have to. Skype is 🤮
- Postman to test and debug APIs.
- Figma for UI design.
- DataGrip. "Many databases, one tool"
- Affinity Photo is my Photoshop/Lightroom.
- Docker Desktop for Docker obviously.
- Spotify for music. VLC for video.
🕸️ Web Apps & Services
- G Suite give me the best of GMail, Drive and co for my business.
- Since GitHub began offering free private repos I've found myself slowly migrating across my projects from BitBucket.
- Netlify hosts this very website.
- SVGOMG - UI for optimising SVGs. Installed as a PWA.
- Surface Pro 6 which I connect to the dock when I'm at my desk.
- Logitech MX Master mouse.
- Corsair K55 keyboard is nice and quiet.
- A 34-inch LG UltraWide monitor. I'm using the FancyZones feature of PowerToys to manage application windows.
- Bose QuietComfort 35 II noise-cancelling headphones. The open-plan offices I've worked in recently have made these puppies worth every penny.
- Google Pixel 2 XL still in my pocket. The camera is still 🔥. The battery is pretty poor these days but it'll do for another couple of lockdowns.
- There's a couple of Raspberry Pis gathering dust somewhere.
If you like this kind of content, check out uses.tech for more developer's setups.